Carrot cupcakes with pie crust bottom, cream cheese buttercream frosting and sprinkles. These small but sophisticated cupcakes are not only eye-catching, but full of decadent flavor. The pie crust bottom and cream cheese buttercream frosting makes these completely unique
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 pie crusts thawed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups grated carrots
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- cupcake sprinkles
- For the frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt with an electric mixer 3-5 minutes, until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, beat on low, then beat on high 3 minutes. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Generously spray two 12-cup muffin pans with cooking spray. Use a small mason jar or glass cup to cut circles in the pie crust the size of the bottom of each muffin cup. Bake 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl mix together sugars, oil and pineapple. Add vanilla, egs and blend with electric mixer for 1 minute on medium speed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Blend wet and dry ingredients together with a wooden spoon. Stir in carrots.
- Slowly fill each muffin cup to a little more than halfway full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely. Frost with frosting. Top with sprinkles.
Carrot Cake with Carmel Rum Glaze
- If you'd like to make a cake, you can pour the cake batter in three 6" greased and lined cake pans and baked for 35-40 minutes, or two 8" greased and lined cake pans and bake for 45-50 minutes. Test the doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center and make sure no raw batter is stuck to it. Let the cake layers completely cool before frosting.
- For the caramel rum glaze: In a medium saucepan, heat 3 cups of heavy cream to almost boiling, then turn heat down to low to keep warm.In a large saucepan, add 1 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup corn syrup and 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Stir to mix then cook over medium high heat until it turns golden. Tilt pan to keep it from burning. Turn the heat down, to low and add 1/3 cup sugar and stir constantly to allow to melt. Then add another 1/3 cup sugar, stir and allow to melt, and one more time, add 1/3 cup sugar, stir and allow to melt. It should start to darken in color. Do not let it burn.Turn the heat up to medium and add the warm cream, a third at a time, stirring super fast. It will get very bubbly, turn heat down, continue stirring until it thickens to a syrup.Remove from the heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 cup rum. Let it cool.Pour glaze over the frosted carrot cake.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below.