Light and fluffy double almond cupcakes with a hint of caramel in the almond icing. Your party guests will be stashing these in their pockets and purses they are so delicious!
Double Almond Cupcakes
- 1⅔ cup All Purpose Flour (sifted)
- 1 cup sugar (sifted)
- ¼ tsp baking soda (sifted)
- 1½ tsp baking powder (sifted)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt (sifted)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- ½ cup sour cream (room temperature)
- ½ cup whole milk
Almond Buttercream Icing
- 1¼ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp caramel coffee syrup (optional)
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, egg whites, almond extract, sour cream and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner ⅔ full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are baking, in a medium size bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended.
- Add whipping cream, almond extract and caramel syrup and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Fill a piping bag with the icing and pipe onto each cooled cupcake.
- Top with sliced almonds.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below.