Warm and chewy cinnamon apple oatmeal cookie sandwich with lightly sweet and fluffy almond buttercream in between and drizzled with maple icing on top with slivers of almonds!
Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookie Sandwich
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp table salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp apple pie spice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (drain excess liquid through strainer)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg (room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple (peeled, and finely diced)
- ½ cup almond slivers
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup milk (warm)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- pinch of table salt
- 1½ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- For the cookies: Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and apple pie spice together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the butter, applesauce brown sugar, white sugar together until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in the apples.
- Use a large cookie scoop and place dough balls onto cookie sheets 3 inches apart. Wet fingertips and slightly flatten the balls.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly browned on the edges. Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- For the Almond Buttercream: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add flour and sugar stirring constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in milk. Stir constantly until custard consistency.
- Transfer to bowl and cover with plastic wrap pressing down onto surface. Cool in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add butter and beat with hand mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes until smooth and turns pale yellow. Add the custard a little at a time while beating on medium speed for 1 minute. Add almond extract and salt. Beat for 2-3 minutes until peaks form.
- For the Maple Icing: In a small bowl, whisk the icing ingredients together.
- To assemble: Add ¼ cup of Almond Buttercream in between two Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies, top with Maple Icing and Almond Slivers.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below.